Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Not being able to forget a face

Sometimes not being able to forget someone's face comes in handy and some times it a curse. I guess that's what makes me a better artist than most folks is that I don't forget some of the things I have seen. It has its advantages and its disadvantages. Like when you are at a party and that drunk ugly, overweight chick takes off her clothes and dives into the pool for everyone to see. It's an image I would rather forget but I can't. Ewww! BrainBleech PLEASE!

Anyway, the other day when I stopped into my local quicktrip to get a fountain soda, Dr Pepper I might add, I recognized the guy who was coming out as I was going in. He didn't recognize me of course and I said to myself, I interviewed with him for a job back in January at a print company. I might have sucked or something as we got along pretty well and he liked me, but I never heard back from him or the company even after sending a thank you note. But he was also one of those guys you don't forget. Built like a body builder and hair like a stoner. I should have said something to him, as I remembered his name, but I'm sure he would have not remembered me in the first place. It's not the first time I've seen someone out and about that doesn't remember me. I just have that unique gift of remembering things. Almost like a photographic memory but not quite. I tell a lot of people I never forget a face, a name, well that's a whole different story. So if you know me and we have met, there is a big chance I won't forget you. Unlike some of my former co-workers who act like I have the plague or something and start acting weird when I approach them in public. I have sense stopped walking up to people I know and try to strike up a conversation. You want to chat, come to me. I guess I must be the devil or something the way some folks run away or play the “I don't know you game”. And yes, I know who you are and I won't forget that moment either.

So the next time you are out and about and you see someone you know, ask yourself, do I know them and will they remember me before I act like they have the plague or something and do that awkward dance to avoid them, it might be me and I will call you out and make a fool of you in public and on the Internet. And if I remember you and I don't like you, well then it's twice as bad. Why? Because I can't forget you and I don't want to near you. But if you approach me, I will be civil and talk to you and somewhere during the conversation I might even let you know I don’t like you or tell you what you have done for me to avoid you.

Like I said, it's a blessing and a curse. I will recognize you whether I want to or not. Some times it's nice. Other times, not so much.

3 comments:

  1. You know, I'm pretty much the same way... though I hate when you start talking to them but you totally blank on how you know them or what their name is... hopefully you're not called on it and you can fake your way through :P Then again several occasions in my life I've had people come up to me, extremely excited, throwing their arms around me and I have no clue as to who they are or why they are so happy to see me. Usually I don't want to burst their bubble so I play along lol. That particular situation happened to me a few times while I was at Uni... hmmm, perhaps I attended some events that were just too good to recall? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I'm one of those who could probably forget her own face. Honestly. Names, faces... I'm horrible with. Now, show me a dog I saw once 6 years ago and I can tell you every last detail about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I also have a pretty crazy memory- I remember exact details of conversations- and usually I remember people-
    But if I forget, it can be epic stupid-I do occasionally forget someone if they look remarkably different or I didn't know them really well. once I accidentally became friends with my husband's ex girlfriend- I did not know her very well, only seen her a couple times and she had gained a lot of weight- it was her tattoo I kept thinking looked really familiar- she of course knew exactly who I was and liked me enough to not want to tell me who she was... :)

    ReplyDelete