Thursday, June 24, 2010

Job Hunting

Job hunting. There is nothing more stressful than trying to find a job in this economy. What makes it worse is there are people and companies out there who want to mislead you and take advantage of you any way they can. They will use false job postings to lure you in for a job you think you are perfect for and suddenly you either get your inbox full of spam or worse, a call from a different company wanting you come for an interview to find that they want you to invest what little money you have or don’t have to join their pyramid scheme. If you invest with them and work six days a week sixteen hours a day, and in six months you can bring someone in under you and make a profit off all their hard work just like the guy above you is doing. This is most commonly found in insurance companies or financial advisors that specialize in different forms of insurance or savings. Not all are bad, but from my experience, the ones I have had dealings with are EVIL. Primerica is one of them. They wouldn’t even tell me who they were when they called. Stupid them. I looked up their phone number to find out who they were while I was talking to them (caller ID is great) and played along with their game and went to met with them and told them off in their office on how their deceptive practices were and how I wouldn’t use them if they were the last company on earth. To top it off, I didn’t sign their papers they gave me and they ignored it and called people and used me as a reference. I called them the next day and chewed them out again. I even told them if they used my name or called anyone I knew I would sue them. It worked. So be wary when you get a call from some one who won’t identify who they are with. Just hang up the phone.

But that’s not all that’s frustrating. Jumping though job sites to job site to apply for a job is a hassle. Go to one site to be lead to another site to spend hours applying for a job is a pain in the neck. I even had to cancel one of my email accounts because I got so much spam it was insane. Lesson here, create a disposable email address in case you get so much spam you can’t read your email and find what email is real and which is not. With over 100 plus spam message a day to send my personal info to some crook just wasn’t worth it. All from craigslist. Craigslist is the worst place to look for work. It’s free for anyone. Including scammer and recruiters. I got one interview from a job recruiter and in their paper work was this little clause that made me say no: “if for any reason you are released or teminated from the job we find for you within the first six months, you will have to pay us 1/3 of your yearly salary the day after employment ends.” What the hell? I pay you a 1/3 of the salary I would have made? I don’t think so. I have found that craigslist is full of scammers and fake jobs it isn’t funny. Monster and Career Builder has gotten me nothing but insurance sales scam and pyramid scam job offers like there is no tomorrow. You have the power to look these people up to. If they don’t want to give you their info, they aren’t legit. Ever notice that on craigslist? Employers won’t say who they are? I even got sneaky and emailed them questions to get a response back and they give me all the information I need to look them up and find out most of them aren’t worth their weight in salt. I have since quit using craigslist. It’s not worth the trouble.

Now the other day I found a great potential job though indeed and clicked the apply now button and took me to this site called Jobfox, where I had to create an account to apply for said job. Another thing I hate. Having to apply at a job site to apply at a job site to apply for a job. What really pissed me off is the next day I get an email from some woman named Jennifer G. telling me she is doing a free detailed critique of my resume and that I need to spend $700 to have my resume professionally re-written. I sent her a scything email and told her what I thought. I even told her I was going to post it on my blog. Take that. I didn’t get an email back. There is nothing worse than a website or company that wants you to spend that amount of money to write a resume for you. Don’t do it. These are scam jobs as well. Stay away form ANY jobs posted on jobfox. They aren’t worth it. In fact they seem to be nothing more than an internet marking company that fills your inbox with their special offer and promotions. And want you to use their resume writing services for as little as $54 a month. And they can help you find a better job buy paying to join there website service for a low cost of $54 a month. Really? I don’t think so.

In short, do some research on any job you want to apply for before wasting your time. If you find they want a load of personal and private info up front, it’s a scam. If they won’t tell you who they are or who they are with, it’s a pyramid scheme. And if you have to jump though hoops to apply or got though different websites that you have to join, it’s not worth the time. Many places aren’t worth working for and there jobs out there if you are willing to look and can do them. Sadly, some things I can’t do anymore and the ones I can , they can’t afford me. It’s scary out there, but I have your back.

1 comment:

  1. The only job listings I really trust are straight from our Federal site (Service Canada). There's all kinds of good there, just about every kind of help you need, including help with your resume free of charge. That said, I never got a single reply for anything I applied for (all by email)... even a POF letter would be nice. I guess there's no equivalent in the US?

    ReplyDelete